AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4430 burning up clutches
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pirlbeck
Posted 9/13/2020 21:42 (#8494176 - in reply to #8493726)
Subject: RE: JD 4430 burning up clutches

West Central Iowa
CASE3594 - 9/13/2020 19:11

Wouldn’t a leak in the two speed show up in a pressure check of the clutch circuit? I have zero experience with these lunches/transmissions but, I’m thinking a leak that affected the clutch would show up as low pressure on the circuit. Again, I could be way off. Just been following this thread and trying to pick up some knowledge.

On JD's of this vintage the "gold standard" test is to monitor lube pressure (best with warm/hot hydraulic oil) while engaging/disengaging various transmission clutch and brake elements (speeds) for a power shift, Hi or low of the 2 speed in a Q/R, MFWD clutch if equipped, PTO clutch, diff lock and any other circuit that uses transmission system pressure (regulated pressure to the Case-IH guys). The lube pressure will respond a lot quicker to any smaller leaks as it depends on "left over" oil for it's flow and pressure. System pressure may stay close to the set pressure with a smaller leak, but it will show up as lower lube pressure.

Read the post above from TP in central PA titled "Since the JD guys are here for the 4430 below, 4050 PS questions" to see how lube pressure is affected more then system pressure especially at higher RPM's. On these tractors you have to refer to a clutch engagement chart (unless you have it memorized) to see which elements are engaged in each speed. In Tyler's case I would say he has a pretty significant leak in C1 clutch.

On the newer (8000 series and up) computer controlled JD power shift transmissions you can use the different computer addresses to engage only one clutch pack at a time to see if you have an internal leak.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)