AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 9/6/2020 07:58 (#8478553 - in reply to #8478518)
Subject: RE: Rain

North Central Illinois
It has been raining here for a couple of hours. I don't know how much we have had but it looks like a pretty nice rain. Had it come two weeks ago I would be out looking at the rain gauge right now. As it is I think the rain will help to some extent but not like it would have two weeks ago. The majority of the bean fields around here are turning so I don't see a lot of benefit for them other than stopping the seed from shrinking anymore. Corn around here runs the gambit depending on fertility, planting date, nitrogen program, use of fungicide, and of course rainfall. There are a few fields that were planted early that don't have much green left in them. Nitrogen programs will be a huge factor in corn yields around here this year. Fall anhydrous is hit and miss. Some of it looks pretty good while some of it is sucking air. All up front pre-plant UAN is not good either. Guys that split applied be it fall NH3 with a little pre plant UAN or sidedress or pre plant UAN with sidedress look the best. Fungicide application looks to be another big factor yet again this year too. A lot of the corn still has enough green in the plant with the milk line half way down or less to benefit from this rain. It will help hold onto some kernel depth and keep some weight in the corn. I am expecting an average corn crop with close to APH either side. Beans will be all over the place. There will be some 40 bushel beans and some 70 bushel beans. We will see more variability in this area than we have for several years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)