AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

UAN versus ammonia
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

billonthefarm
Posted 9/13/2009 22:20 (#845863 - in reply to #844368)
Subject: RE: UAN versus ammonia

Farmington IL
Well I tell you what I'm thinking and what I have done in the past. Fall applied NH3 is probably the best one application method if you want a one pass application. In the past we have put 180 units of N on in the fall and then put 40 units on of dry in the spring. Get the best of both worlds with the split application probably makes the best looking corn crop. Have done fall NH3 and side dressed 40 units of 28% and that worked ok but I worry about the nattow window that has to happen in and traking around in growing corn. Have done fall NH3 and used a Helena product call coron when the corn was just over knee high and it worked ok. This spring on some fields, because we couldnt get the NH3 on we used urea only, 240 units of N. Looks fine so far, because the urea was more available it really made the fields look nice when some others were very yellow. Never saw a difinitive advatage yield wise to any of these programs.
I have run into two problems. Trying to get NH3 on fall chiseled ground can be quite a challenge, last fall I finally just gave up. To many clods from the ground being wet and to many stalks. The other problem is that this fall we are likely to be harvesting when we would like to be doing tillage so who knows if we will even get to do any NH3 work. Right know I am leaning towards buying urea 46-0-0 and applying it in the late winter early spring instead of trying to deal with 400 acres of continuous corn ground as long as this year works out ok. The fields that will rotate from beans to corn I will apply fall NH3, I hope. Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)