AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rootworm beetles in IL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tim..swIL
Posted 9/11/2009 00:36 (#842364 - in reply to #842165)
Subject: RE: Rootworm beetles in IL

Freeburg, IL
I would be prone to think that late emerging rootworms would be likely to occur after a dry summer where the cracks in the ground were deep and the eggs were laid very deep. However, I would have thought that the emergence of beetles would have been done by mid-July at the latest. I don't recall things being THAT dry last summer up that way. I'm definately not an expert, so that's just more of a guess.

Re: 5% refuge. The value of SmartStax to a farmer will highly coorelate to the yield loss they associate with a refuge. What the yield monitor has shown on our farm in east central IL over the past several years is that our 20% RR2 refuge yielded on average 30 bushels less than the triple stacked or rootworm corn. That is comparing the same isoline and using a full rate of granulated Force insecticide on the refuge corn. You can pick whatever corn price you want and determine if that is what you would consider serious income that is taken off the table. To me, I look forward to the opportunity to reducing the refuge and putting that money in our pockets. Are you going to see yield differences in refuge vs rootworm-containing corn at St. Jacob or parts south? Maybe some. How about in the future? Don't know, maybe lots more in a few more years. (unless we keep having these severely wet springs)

I do know that, aside from those that prefer to grow nonGMO corn, nearly all farmers that I deal with in east central AND southwest IL dislike having to plant a refuge. This is a big plus for those that value the technology. The next step to simplify the refuge will be refuge in a bag (RIB), which I understand to possibly be available in 2011 or 2012.

So, one of the biggest advantages of SmartStax is the yield one can recoup (no pun intended Coup) from the refuge "penalty." (Check local listings for average yield loss on refuge acres.) As bigger nonGMO corn growers (Coup and Sed), SmartStax may hold no value in your eyes, and i'm okay with that. I obviously can't speak for Dow, Monsanto or Syngenta, but I'd guess they're okay with you not seeing value in it (though they may scratch their heads a while)

Coup - Wyffels & Monsanto: I'm not sure all the reasons companies have sold out over the years. Lately (last 5 years) I assume the primary reasons for acquisitions were: a company was too small to survive, a company(ies) may have gotten into a financial bind, or the owner(s) were ready to cash in their chips and sail off into the sunset. Some of the independent owners that are left, I would have to assume are more competitive and possibly a little more savy in business or maybe lucky. I don't know the guys from Arenzville, IL or the gentleman from IN that own seed companies, but I do know Bill and Bob Wyffels pretty well. They "play ball" at the same level you see Tiger Woods playing on Sunday at the Masters in Augusta, GA. They love the seed corn business they way every farmer reading this loves farming. It's in their blood; an addiction; a passion.

Will there still be independent companies around in 10, 20, 30 years? No idea and I'm not going to worry about it. My thoughts about selling out is, and I'm not trying to pick on you or anyone else, but wouldn't it be easier for you to call ILL Family Farms or Dowsons and take bids on the farm and collect the rent check? I'm assuming the answer is NO!!!!!! I assume you do what you do, because you love it and maybe want a young family member or neighbor to have to opportunity to have the success and joys in life that you've experienced.

I'm not sure what ratio of trait platforms you consider ideal, but I've yet to base a recommendation on what trait the corn had. It is nice to have a variety of Agrisure, Herculex and YieldGard/Genuity traits.

I'll end my ramblings with this. I work for Wyffels for a bunch of reasons. A couple of my favorite have surfaced recently. 1) I walked into the FPS tent and Bill Wyffels asks me, just one employee out of a hundred and some, "How's Melissa and the kids?" I live 4 hours away from him and don't see him all that often. That's impressive to me! 2) I work with one of the most outstanding group of guys in this industry that always have my back and always ensure that things get done and done right. and 3) I fully believe that my customers deserve to be treated as more than a number. I've been treated that way since I started and that also is quite impressive.

That is probably more than you wanted or cared to know. Hope I addressed your concerns, thoughts and questions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)