AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Big Brutus open
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WYDave
Posted 8/2/2020 15:56 (#8411121 - in reply to #8410805)
Subject: RE: Big Brutus open

Wyoming

I got to crawl around inside a modern dragline locally here at a coal mine north of the WY/MT line locally here, It was in operation on a Sunday afternoon and we were able to crawl through it with a mine mechanic who knows the machine intimately.  We climbed four stories just to get into the door that led to more stairs to get up to the operator's cab.  The operator's cab is not a place for people with a fear of heights - you can literally look down between your feet and see the ground "way down there" - the cab is perched out on an extension from the machine to give the operator excellent visibility of what is going on around the dragline. 

The operator position on a modern dragline is pretty cushy as such things go - there's a little kitchen area, a restroom, a little closet for coats and boots. It's temperature controlled and sound insulated. 

Down in the motor room while in operation, you have to wear at least one form of hearing protection - preferably two (plugs and muffs). There are three-phase motors as large as a one-ton pickup pulling wire ropes back and forth.

They're impressive pieces of engineering and construction. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)