AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Massey Ferguson 8S Series announced Today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Trillium Farm
Posted 7/25/2020 09:01 (#8394995 - in reply to #8394947)
Subject: RE: the pretender?

Southern Ontario
The Pretender - 7/25/2020 09:43

Not really. There are farms that have run Masseys for decades, there was a year in the 1960's when 3/4 of all tractors registered in the UK were Massey 135's. That's some market share. Ford were top dog for a number of years, then merged with Fiat, then CNH were born and I don't recall people commenting much on what colour the tractor is.

There is certainly brand loyalty to most colours, Deere is attracting their share, but nothing like the USA. I constantly sit here, slack jawed with indredulity when I read that someone bought a Beauvais built tractor that is a Massey in everything but the colour of the sheet metal and liked it, but won't buy another because they can't get one in orange. They are frankly, idiots. Do people have the same brand loyalty to crop varities or when certain spray chemicals come out of patent and everyone can make their generic version?

I've been driving Masseys since 2008, they haven't been without their fault, some things Agco do certainly leave me scratching my head, but overall I've liked operating them. Great Sisu engines and CVT's, good dealer support, what's not to like? Over the years I've used countless makes and models of tractor, new, old, looked after, beaten to death, complex and simple. They all have good and bad points and the current maket leader has made their share of garbage, just like all the others. The differnce being is that they are really, really good at selling them. Agco on the other hand do seem to have a marketing department that flails around in the dark, or at least twilight.

Slick branding and marketing usually has the reverse effect on me and makes me shy away from your product, I do try very hard to buy things on merit. One here though, branding seems to be everything and people seem brand loyal till the end. Whether it's Deere, Snap On, Milwaukee, Peterbilt or which ever pickup is the bestest, it's all about brand loyalty on here, and presuambly assume the rest of the USA. Me, I've never been one to follow the crowd because the crowd are usually idots that can't think for themselves. 

Appologies for any speeling mistakes, my speeling is awful and my spellchecker won't work.

I'm with you and also belong to the ABJD (Anything But John Deere) group. They make some good products, But I HATE the company for the way they treat farmers! The shine of the past still lingers, but for how long? I think MF NH Case etc all make good machine as long as they are operated as intended, they'd have not stayed in business otherways. The american farmer place a great deal of importance on how close the dealer is as they expect failure, I would not expect failure if I operated the machine as intended and if it did fail I would not buy that make again, also I think american farmers are tinkerers wheres their euro counterpart not so much and by what I read they seem to rely on dealer service more, but I don't know for sure. AGCO CEO was the President of CLAAS and this company is still going strong and has a good reputation. Above all I think that the size of the average american farm vs the euro counterpart may have more to do with everything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)