AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

from Bob Streit
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iahawkeye
Posted 9/7/2009 00:26 (#837762 - in reply to #837692)
Subject: Re: from Bob Streit

Central Iowa
I would agree with Bob Streit's assessment of the crops in Central Iowa and even into NC Iowa as well as many observations that Loran and Dave are seeing. Lots of yellow corn the past few months and a lot of uneveness in crop stand. Most skimped a little on the N, many used liquid that didn't stick around and the residue wasn't worked until late in fall. Lots of spring deep tillage and wet conditions during planting. I've also noticed early antracnose (top die-back) setting in something towards 60%? of the fields of corn. The tops are dying on the plants and the stalk is being canibbalized. The ear tipback is what is most interesting to me. We got hailed out in our area, so I figured that was from the plant being cutdown to a stalk and ear, but I've seen this in test plots and fields that were well cared for and properly fertilized in the non-hail areas. I was told by a Monsanto Company DSM that it was due to the cool weather. Could the cool summer cause all the tip-back we are seeing? I'd say the average ear is 2" tipped back. The plot I looked at was planted at 34,000/A. Final pop. maybe 33,000. Not all varities were tipped that much, but only a couple out of 32 were not tipped back significantly. Plot in Story County Iowa.

I wonder what the 2004 crop looked like from the road? I think I remember that everything looked absolutely perfect. Am I wrong?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)