AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone own their own rock crusher
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 7/3/2020 14:05 (#8351747 - in reply to #8351712)
Subject: RE: Anyone own their own rock crusher

SE Manitoba
BSchroeder - 7/3/2020 13:40

I think I've seen other vids where they'd make several passes and turn them into literal dirt.

So one pass costs about $200/acre - - - maybe more I don't know the wear costs on the grinder.
So double that to be safe.

So if it takes 4 passes - - - you've spent the best part of $1000/acre and you still have soils that
majorly need clay and organic matter.
So to ad that you looking like another $2 to $4k per acre.

So I'll buy that rocky ground for maybe $1250/acre - - - which is cheap in good farming ground areas
because of the rocks and then I'm going to invest enough so that I would be ahead by buying the
good ground to start with.

I have the experience of turning more than a couple 100 acres of ground form bush into farm land.
Back breaking work and it takes 10 to 15 years and then you still need to upgrade the soils.
Today - - - - if it had decent ground under - - - yes - - - - poorer ground - - - is it the only stuff available within an hour's drive and the price is right - - - - strong maybe.
With that many rocks I'm thinking there is other land around that would make far more sense.
If you've only got maybe 40 acres (hard to believe but remotely possible) clean it up.
I wouldn't spend the dollars to make little rocks out of big rocks - - - - that's a very tough way of dealing with rocks.
(repairs would be constant and the parts would be very pricey)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)