AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hesston/Massey Ferguson 1840 Square Baler
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

wbh56
Posted 6/22/2020 23:23 (#8330743)
Subject: Hesston/Massey Ferguson 1840 Square Baler

We bought a demonstrator inline 1840 small square baler a few years ago, we went from an old John Deere to this one. It had baled about 200 bales if that, the paint wasn't hardly worn off the chamber. I was hoping to get some insight on this forum from those of you who have ran these balers. These are supposed to be high capacity balers and ours struggles to eat windrows, I have broke dozens of flywheel shear bolts. It seems that we have to go extremely slow with a 105 hp tractor for the baler to take in the windrows, I feel like the old 24T John Deere would eat more than the 1840. It will make a good solid even sided bale but bale length seems to get inconsistent after around 700 bales in a day. This is the part I don't get, why will it start acting up at a certain point? It has around 5000 bales on it now and the teeth on the bale length trip arm are starting to wear badly. I did back the deflector shields off to where they are almost flush with the sides of the chamber and that seemed to help some. It never fails that in a days time we have to get off and clean off twine wadded up on the knotters. I think last year it missed 15 bales one afternoon in a 340 bale run. And greasing it is a 2 man job, as there's hardly a zerk on the knotters that will take grease without really forcing it in. My neighbor baled with it last year for me and he said his worn out IH baler would eat more than this baler would.

So my question is what do you guys do to make these balers perform well? I know they have to be good machines or they wouldn't be building them. Prior to trading for this one we talked to people that had ran them and everyone I talked to seemed to think they were great balers. Maybe I just got a lemon? I'm not trying to run these balers down but we haven't had good luck with this one. Since it was a demonstrator the dealer said it was already set up and it shouldn't have any issues. We're loosing patience with this one and strongly considering trading it off on a new John Deere or New Holland.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)