AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hard Red Spring Wheat In Oklahoma With Pictures And A Question For You Guys in Hard Red Spring Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JD105404T
Posted 6/19/2020 09:32 (#8323503 - in reply to #8323154)
Subject: RE: Hard Red Spring Wheat In Oklahoma With Pictures And A Question For You Guys in Hard Red Spring W

Hey Guys,

When we plant our Hard Red Winter Wheat we usually put on 10 pounds of Nitrogen and 15 to 20 pounds of Phosphorus through the airseeder. Then in February we usually topdress another 20 to 50 pounds of Nitrogen. Our Average wheat crop here is 30 to 40 bushel wheat. In a really good year we can raise 50 to 70 bushel wheat. Our biggest limiting factor is Moisture. It kind of depends if we can get some good rains during March and April. I wasn't sure if the Spring Wheat would even produce any heads and it was just an experiment. We had some milo come off late last fall and we wanted to get back to a wheat rotation so we decided to try this spring wheat. I thought this might be the only year we might try this, but yesterday our elevator manager told me we might be on to something. Our Elevator is part of an Alliance called CEA. Our Elevator Manager and one of the CEA Guys were talking yesterday morning about how they were going to Market this Hard Red Spring Wheat since there are Hardly any acres of it grown here in Oklahoma. A little later the CEA guy calls our Elevator Manager back and said your not going to believe this but one of the local mills just called me and was wondering if we had any Hard Red Spring Wheat sitting anywhere. He said yes and they said they would take it all. The local Mill said since it was such a low protein year this year in the Hard Red Winter Wheat they were looking for a Hard Red Spring Wheat since they knew it was a Higher Protein Wheat. We will see how this goes and we may try the Hard Red Spring Wheat again and fertilize it better this next year.

Thank you,
JD105404T

Edited by JD105404T 6/19/2020 09:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)