AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tillage Question for Eastern Colorado and Western Kansas Farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

COdrylander
Posted 8/30/2009 18:39 (#830151 - in reply to #830055)
Subject: RE: Plenty of fertility

NE CO
Matt, thank you for your many comments here. I have gained some new ideas that i may try this fall. As Nathan has pointed out, proso wasn't a very good cropping choice this spring because of markets, and I too have very little planted, mostly strips to break up some of my larger fields in case the drought's effects continued to linger (thank goodness, we have had plenty of rain so far this year). If I have the time this fall, some extra fertility test strips may be tried in the millet stubble prior to planting the wheat there. If I can get zinc impregnated dry fertilizer, I would like to give that a try too. I'll visit with my fertilizer dealer tomorrow for ideas.

Nathan, you are applying much higher levels of P than I usually do, I may give that a try too. Usually the wheat is yellow and it really looks like an N deficiency, though extra N doesn't seem to help. The ARS station people have seen some possible alleopathy reactions using leachates of parts of the proso in greenhouse experiments, but nothing very conclusive. I'm afraid that this work isn't being very actively pursued there now. Personally, I lean toward the alleopathy answer too, because proso stubble fields are always the last fields to green up in the spring with weeds. Something seems to be inhibiting weed growth, even the next spring.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)