AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When to get a feed grinder?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

beanplanter
Posted 6/1/2020 23:43 (#8293662 - in reply to #8293097)
Subject: RE: When to get a feed grinder?

Missouri

MiradaAcres - 6/1/2020 16:40

Buying 10T of DDG will cost the same as buying it from the coop, buy a semi load and save some money.

I can save $60-75/ton on ddgs when buying direct. Most coops here don't even offer them and there's only a few left that even actually mix feed. The ddg source isn't much farther away than the only good feed mill that offers them, so hauling or delivery is basically a wash. It's also rather easy to catch an empty back haul driving right by the plant, so it can actually be even cheaper.

Buying corn from any of the mills can also be a pretty big step down when compared to getting it out of my bins. It's not anywhere near as clean and it can have moisture issues even in the off season. I know what a blend tank is and why they exist, but no amount of complaining seems to help as they have more customers than they can even handle during certain times of the year.

There was also a period of time this winter when I saved almost $100 a ton on soy hulls. I assumed it was a misquote, but nope, $100 dollars a freaking ton just by checking the list and making a few phone calls. The opportunity didn't last long, but it was there to be taken advantage of if you had your own mixer and a place to pile them.

I do not get in on many of them, but the screenings and cleanings loads can be a real deal if you can take them on a moments notice. Oats right out of one of the neighbor's combine are always a huge cost savings compared to any coop in the area.

Lots of ways to cut costs here if you're willing to and can be flexible. I'm obviously not a dairy and do not care about a 400 micron grind though either.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)