AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Coup, others, buying wholesale chemicals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

coup
Posted 1/4/2007 19:07 (#82909 - in reply to #82861)
Subject: RE: Coup, others, buying wholesale chemicals

USA
Illini

If you don't have a water supply close by then that will probably have a big impact on your chemical buying decision. We haul our water five to ten miles 3300 gal at a time, so water is not a big issue for us.

If your neighbor is buying his inputs cheaper than you and a piece of ground comes up for rent it puts you at a disadvantage to compete. Something I have seen over the last four years is that there are more farmers every year price shopping for chemicals. Five years ago a lot of these folks would not have considered, not buying from their local chem supplier. Today it is the bottom line that is driving their decisions.

You do not have to have mini bulk tanks to get bulk chemicals. Most suppliers will provide you with the tank as long as you get at least a 100 gal of product. As for as winter storage goes, chemicals such as Glyphosate or Bicep do noy need to be kept in heated storage in your part of the country.

How many dollars of savings would it take for you to switch to a " Cut Throat" over your local supplier? I talked to a fellow today that had been buying his Generic RUP and corn insecticide from a "Cut Throat" and his corn herbicide from his local supplier. He switched his corn chemical business to the "Cut Throat" this year as it saved him $6500 on 650 acres of corn when compared to his local supplier. He said he felt bad about leaving the local, but could not justify spending the extra $6500.

I guess the bottom line is how much of a premium is your local supplier worth? That is something only you can answer .The other question is what are you going to do if he is not there in five years?

Edited by coup 1/4/2007 19:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)