AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

a little advice re when to apply hog slurry......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 8/27/2009 11:21 (#826441 - in reply to #825363)
Subject: Broadcast last fall & this spring--disked in within 24hrs---had lowest N ever...inject is safer.....

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Tissue tests on Corn crop this year has lowest N ever, soil tests of nitrate N are waaay down..........lowest ever............

We used a commercial compost for about 90% on N (and other sources), 10% slurry............I don't think the compost converted.  On a first year available basis, given the quantity we spread--------we should have had AVAILABLE 150-180lbs. of N.

I am guessing that putting it all on real late last fall (cold and wet), cold and wet spring, cold and wet growing season----------bacteria just were not as active as we needed them to be.  This would have been the year for us to have gone conventional and used anhydrous in spring.

I'll be lucky to make diesel fuel this year.

So..............being scared crapless..........going to nearly all hog slurry, and injected, just to MAKE SURE.

And, I'm leaning towards a split application for the reasons you indicated, besides the workload problem of having to road-tank the slurry some distance, if I can get enough to cover the acres.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)