AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A couple of interesting articles on the Seed Industry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OIC
Posted 8/26/2009 23:29 (#825921 - in reply to #825627)
Subject: RE: NEIndiana

Nope not an employee, just a grower who was excited about the prospects of GAT when first announced and now frustrated that is has been delayed. So I took time to contact Pioneer higher ups and did some research and try to go with the facts. I just appreciate higher value products from seed companies. I'd like to apologize to you, I feel like I was kind of hard on you.

In breeding research, breeders are doing thousands of things genetically with all sorts of natural and biotech traits, mixing and matching, so it's not surprising that you'll find something you weren't looking for. It's like the needle in the hay stack.

This GAT/RR combo is like what Monsanto has done with RR2 yield soybeans. Geneticists and breeders were fooling around with different roundup protein locations in the soybean, wham bam, like the needle in the haystack they found a new location (same protein as in regular roundup ready soybeans) for the protein between two yield genes in the soybean. If using your analogy about painting white steel siding white, then why did Monsanto even need to change to the RR2 yield, why did they have to change their already successful roundup ready package? Because they found something that added more value. Simply, my point is, that geneticists and breeders are always looking for that needle in the haystack that brings better and higher value to the customer. Some find them, some don't in their lifetime. Just my 2 cents.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)