AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizing/Strip till in a corn/soybean/wheat rotation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/25/2009 22:12 (#824330 - in reply to #824202)
Subject: RE: Dry Fert. Damage to Planter?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Matt, I would agree more planters have been corroded by liquid than by dry in part because liquid is much more common and does not require water to turn into an acid like dry does.

In a dry climate like yours with a conscientious person blowing the planter off maybe the dry is no more corrosive than liquid. Liquid does squirt everywhere when there's a leak.

For many folks, not all, but for many the best solution is to get ALL fertilizer off of the planter.

Same with timeliness. This will vary widely depending on your system, location support, etc.

In many areas farmers do not warehouse their own dry fertilizer as often as they warehouse liquid. They are then waiting for tender trucks from the fertilizer supplier....which tend to be at someone else's place when you need them....

There is usually a much wider time window to strip till the fertilizer on compared to optimum planting window.

The typical hybrid has about a 10 day planting window for optimum yield. That hybrid doesn't care whether you are planting 10 acres or 10,000. There will always be years where later is better or earlier is better, etc. But on average there is a 10 day planting window for optimum yield.

There is also the issue of P & K availability, I understand K especially, and that it needs to be in the ground awhile. I understand they are also not very mobile in the soil so can be put down ahead of time and still be there compared to N and S which are much more likely move with water.

One of the characteristics of this type of forum is that there are folks on here from OK and W TX as well as from S IL and the Ohio River Valley, much wetter climates. Almost nothing universal can be said about corn growing that applies everywhere. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)