AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power steering leak - IH 966. how do I fix? (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 4/21/2020 08:03 (#8206544 - in reply to #8204554)
Subject: RE: Power steering leak - IH 966. how do I fix? (Pics)

East of Broken Bow
Like the others said, the holes you see, are threaded, you thread bolts into those holes, then use a puller, that pulls on the bolts, and presses on the shaft. The dimple in the shaft keeps it centered.
Once you get the steering wheel off, remove the dust covers, and you should see the end of the shaft coming out of the unit. If the only place it is leaking, is around the shaft the steering wheel attaches to, the repair is pretty simple. First, start the engine, and let it run a little bit, to get the hydraulic system primed. This is also a good time, to ensure that it is the seal around the shaft that is leaking. Now, shut the engine off, and remove the snap/retaining ring that holds the seal in the housing. Clean up any rust off the shaft with emory cloth. Now crank the engine, but DO NOT START IT. Leave the throttle lever all the way over to the left, so that it will not start. Normally after maybe 10 seconds or possibly less, the pressure from the hydraulic system should push the seal up, if not all the way out, at least far enough you can grab it. This will make an oily mess, so a rag handy isn't a bad idea. Stop cranking immediately when you see oil coming out from between the outside of the seal and the housing. Install a new seal and snap ring, and start the engine, and see if the leak stopped.
We have a 766, and have replaced this seal 2-3 times over the years, and have yet to rebuild the whole steering motor. It still drives fine, so if it were me, if it drives OK, and just leaks, I'd replace the seal, and go from there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)