AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn for silage using a grain drill...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pfarms
Posted 8/19/2009 18:25 (#817132 - in reply to #817065)
Subject: RE: Corn for silage using a grain drill...

EC MN - Hour North of 'The Cities'
I also wonder what tonnage would be seen with increased population and ultra narrow row corn.

I would expect the narrow row and high population combination to struggle in a coarser sand soil type, compared to a heavy clay.

Under irrigated, heavy ground, there would be an increased rate of succes, than non-irrigated ground.

I question this method/practice, because if one could grow up to 2x the crop on the same ammount of acres, it could be practical. Granted, seed cost would be approx double, fertilizer costs will increase, yet vary if manure is applied back onto the ground for the fertility. The advantages would be less acres tied up to get the same total tons of a crop (paying the same rent per acre for twice the yield), and herbicide costs wouldn't change any per acre cost, but if you were able to reduce your acres planted, it could reduce total costs.

Like I say, with irrigation this system could work, but the hybrid chosen will need to perform in a high population environment, and may need to handle stress in stride.

Looks like I have too much time on my hands with a rain day to let my mind do some wandering...

Lance
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)