AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

refuge or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 1/1/2007 11:55 (#81303 - in reply to #81288)
Subject: Re: refuge or not?

Aberdeen MS
Well for one...there are two different ways to handle the end rows with strip tilling. conventional till them to take out the compaction from the year before.... or strip them like the rest of the field.

I'm stripping them just to see what and if there is any difference in the high traffic areas. If one strips the headlands.... plants them first.. and then heads into the field, your equipment will take a lot of abuse turning around. The strip trenches/mounds makes for some rough turning and I for one don't need the extra bounce/jar on the equipment. The old headland rows are undisturbed so over/under planting is a moot point. Once the planter hits the first old headland row...you stop or start just like having the headlands planted first. As far as night planting... it would be even better as the old corn stalk row still standing from last year would be easier to see than a freshly planted row in conventional till.

The strips are made in a separate pass prior to planting, so .. as in my case... i strip 10 and come back and plant 10... as long as I have the right 10 together, I can start planting in the middle and work my way out or where ever I wish to. By having the correct spacing already there for the planter to follow, I can plant whatever variety leave gaps and come back to fill them in whenever. I a simplistic way... strip tilling is offering a "poor mans" rtk set up in that circumstance.

Hope this helps clear up the situation a little bit better
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)