AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Serial port advice?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 8/16/2009 12:06 (#812952 - in reply to #806389)
Subject: Re: Serial port advice?

C IL
We use bluetooth serial adapters at work - they're a bit more expensive, but the convenience factor is worth it for us. You can use it with Windows Mobile-type devices if you have need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833139008&nm_...

I'm getting a bit over my head here, but we have encountered some complications using serial adapters (USB/bluetooth) with certain equipment at my internship (something in all of the weather stations/dataloggers/bluetooth GPS/etc). I think maybe the computer semi-permanently assigns some sort of virtual COM port number/ID to every different USB device you attach to the computer. Some devices/software require that number to be low (basically assuming a hardwired serial port is assigned a low number). If you hook up lots of stuff before you hook up your USB serial adapter, it will be assigned a higher number which may not work for some of the aforementioned devices/software. I think we fixed this by going into BIOS or registry and deleting a bunch of the assigned virtual COM ports.

How that I think about it more, it was maybe using a bluetooth GPS receiver to read into ArcGIS 9.x - so maybe a software issue.

Haven't done much with our GPS/guidance stuff at home - haven't needed to use a serial adapter there - but it's information in case someone maybe has some issues with it. I know it took my friend a couple of weeks off and on to track down this problem/solution.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)