AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

capstan nozzles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Otis
Posted 3/20/2020 07:15 (#8121304)
Subject: capstan nozzles

NW IOWA
Looking at a newer sprayers. One with capstan one without, i am asking how do you like the capstan system, i have gotten some info off. of youtube just asking what real life experiences are, like if its one of those things once you got it you will never go without again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
agiron1702
Posted 3/20/2020 07:20 (#8121311 - in reply to #8121304)
Subject: RE: capstan nozzles

Yes, You'll never want to spray without it again. Can use same tips on a wider gallon range, can spray at constant pressure when leaving corners of field or coming up to a washout.
millet_farmer
Posted 3/20/2020 08:33 (#8121561 - in reply to #8121311)

Akron, Colorado
How reliable is it if you use any 32%? I know cleaning it out would be a bigger priority then but is that all you have to do? I stream on nitrogen for all my crops with the sprayer and I’ve often wondered this.
nebfarmer
Posted 3/20/2020 09:21 (#8121741 - in reply to #8121561)

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!
Probably not very good for that as they lack the GPM capability unless you get the newer system. Clean out would not be an issue with the 32%. It's more of an issue with letting wettable powders set in them and I really not had a problem with that.
Aim command which they made for case IH had a dual nozzle system for streaming.
homeinks
Posted 3/20/2020 09:37 (#8121804 - in reply to #8121561)

Rn Co KS
The orfice in the Capstan system is close to the size of a #10 jet. Therefore, at rates greater than #10 nozzle is capable of, the Capstan system will be the limiting factor. Fertilizer flows thru jets slower than water so that aggravates the matter.

My sprayer has 80 mesh large filters in the line for each boom. I have had no problems with fertilizer in my Capstan system in the 5 years I have had it. I make no special cleanout procedures. Obviously the quality of the product needs to be good prior. Capstan seems to make stream jets (not streamer bars) more "stable" in the output. It seems like the stream doesn't break up as bad when pushing the limits.

I will run fert thru Capstan if rates allow and change to STD system otherwise.

WilgerIndustries
Posted 3/20/2020 10:32 (#8121994 - in reply to #8121804)

For a rough idea, Capstan has two solenoid sizes (the fairly standard one can put out ~1.5 us gpm before the pressure drop becomes too much; the 24 series valve has a lot higher flow rate - pretty sure it was up to 2.4 us gpm)

So, as long as your flowmeter isn't maxed out (keep in mind some AimCommand sprayers have 60gpm flowmeters, so once you start operating outside of 0.83 us gal/min, you can run into issues that you might have to upsize to a 100gpm flowmeter.

In operation, technically, if strainers are all clean and machine is in good shape, you'd be able to run 15 USGPA at 20MPH, or 20US GPA at 15mph (as you can inverse them).

For the solenoid, I know there are slightly different solenoids for the Arag/Teejet/Wilger nozzle body threads, and with that, I think the Teejet one had a lower max flow rate (instead of 1.5 us gpm) as the inlet sizes were a bit more restricted.
560HighCrop
Posted 3/20/2020 07:31 (#8121346 - in reply to #8121304)

west central Iowa
We really like our Capstan nozzles. The extended spray range is very nice. We have RTK and the Capstan 2 monitor so we do not have to border waterways anymore. That is SO NICE!
nebfarmer
Posted 3/20/2020 07:40 (#8121372 - in reply to #8121346)

Super good system. the turn compensation is fantastic as is the ability to.run the outer tips at a higher rate for borders

Edited by nebfarmer 3/20/2020 07:43
Viper2bn
Posted 3/20/2020 10:40 (#8122024 - in reply to #8121304)

Lottsburg VA
I have had my pinpoint system for 5 years, I usually need to replace at least one coil per day and have as many as 9 in a day. The turn compensation is nice and it does save chemical but I have had nothing but trouble with it and the system is now shut off while I wait for yet another hub. I run 28% through it frequently and the valves have not been a problem as long as you don't leave booms full of chemical for a long time. I have had enough of the system and will be taking it off and putting my 5 way bodies back on, when it works correctly it's a great system but it's a costly system to run.
nebfarmer
Posted 3/20/2020 12:04 (#8122302 - in reply to #8122024)

Viper2bn - 3/20/2020 10:40 I have had my pinpoint system for 5 years, I usually need to replace at least one coil per day and have as many as 9 in a day. The turn compensation is nice and it does save chemical but I have had nothing but trouble with it and the system is now shut off while I wait for yet another hub. I run 28% through it frequently and the valves have not been a problem as long as you don't leave booms full of chemical for a long time. I have had enough of the system and will be taking it off and putting my 5 way bodies back on, when it works correctly it's a great system but it's a costly system to run.

One or two a season is all I need to replace. The plungers are an every other year item if you can't stand nozzle drip. Do you check the coils with an ohm meter.

WilgerIndustries
Posted 3/20/2020 12:13 (#8122332 - in reply to #8122024)

That seems like a whole lot of solenoids?
Are you checking:

-Resistance between two pins on coil. If it is between 21-23 ohms, the coil is still good.
- The poppet's seal? It can break down and is a WAY CHEAPER piece to replace the whole solenoid. A $18-25 fix instead of a $200+
- They rate them at 3-5 years use, but can be lessif you are putting nasty stuff in the tank or spraying at typically high pressures (above 70PSI)
Viper2bn
Posted 3/20/2020 13:19 (#8122557 - in reply to #8122332)

Lottsburg VA
My valves last pretty good, I just replace the solenoids. I seem to have a lot of them failing, but I always check them with meter before tossing them away. I run 28% nitrogen so many days in the winter they seem to fail either in winter or after a long summer day spraying.
Otis
Posted 3/20/2020 13:29 (#8122588 - in reply to #8122557)

NW IOWA
So now in use 05 tips 14 mph,12 gpa @60 psi if I remember right. Would I want 07 nozzles to the same speed and rate to lower psi?
Viper2bn
Posted 3/20/2020 13:55 (#8122656 - in reply to #8122588)

Lottsburg VA
Using capstan system you would want 12.5 or 15 tips. I run 10s to run 10gpa, and 12.5 driftguard to run dicamba at 12gal. Anything above I run 15s. If you are running 05 tips now at 60 psi and want lower pressure 06 tips in conventional nozzle will cover up to 15gpa, above that I switch to 8s
WilgerIndustries
Posted 3/20/2020 15:35 (#8122908 - in reply to #8122588)

There isn't an -07 nozzle size, so you'd either want to use a 110-06 and be somewhat restricted on pressure (as it needs to be above 45PSI to ensure your duty cycle isn't too low).

Or you could go to an -08 size, but depending on what the application/chemical is, nozzles larger than an -08 get pretty coarse, pretty quickly.
With an -08 nozzle, you could spray anywhere from like 30-60PSI, focusing in on the pressure that is getting you the spray quality and results you want.

Depending on what sprayer you are using, your application *might* be a good candidate for dual nozzle spraying as well.

EDIT: Sometimes there is confusion in using double the size of the nozzle for the application you are wanting to do.
While a larger nozzle can still work, if you duty cycle is effectively too low (<50%) it isn't really ideal.

If you can maintain a duty cycle at your speed/rate/pressure, around 60-80%, it allows you flexibility to slow down for when you need it (e.g. corners) to have your turn compensation do the best it can.

For example:
12US GPA
14MPH max
Capstan PinPoint
20" nozzle spacing

110-06 size:
@60PSI, you'd be at roughly an 86% duty cycle at 14MPH. ( A little high, but not tooo crazy)
As you slow down (whether it be for a corner or obstacle), you'd be looking at something like 50% duty cycle (still at 60PSI) if you were turning a corner at 8.5MPH.
-This is a nice place to be, as you round the corner, you have 50% more volume you can spray out the furthest section, and still cut your rate down on the inside seciton that is slowing down (or going backward).

110-08 size:
@40PSI, you'd be at roughly an 80% duty cycle at 14MPH. ( no issues there)
As you slow down @ 8.5MPH, you'd be hitting that ~50% duty cycle.
All in all, still a good place to be, BUT it is often hard to find drift reduction nozzles that aren't too coarse in the 110-08 nozzle size.

Edited by WilgerIndustries 3/20/2020 15:41
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)