AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3 ?'s on adding extra tractor steps (long with pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 3/18/2020 21:19 (#8117431 - in reply to #8117177)
Subject: RE: 3 ?'s on adding extra tractor steps (long with pics)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Hi Von,

I've installed a 3rd lower step, on a JD4440 and I have bent it once, pulling a dirt scraper and driving over a previous pile of dirt (my fault) Took it off and rebent the side brackets in a 20 ton press. K&M aftermarket steps.

For my JD8410, I ordered a lower JD step, but their side brackets (from John Deere) were too high priced. I made my own side brackets using "mending brackets" that you find at the hardware store. I also "moved every original step" up a bolt hole, too; before adding this lower step.

Yes, I have bent this one, on the 8410, also. Pulling the same dirt scraper, but it happening backing it up, into Dad's old silage pit (storage area for dirt scraper)= going over dirt edge of old silage pit entrance. (Note: I do like the idea of belting material, instead; but one advantage of solid steel side brackets, is that, it is solid and can be angled outward, similar to the upper factory sides.= acts like stair steps.

Normal field operations, haven't been an issue. I think issues when doing more "aggressive work" is where I need to pay closer attention. I think I'm around the 13"-15" at first step, but I need to measure to give you an accurate measurement.

Bottomline: I've added lower steps to every tractor: 3010, 4020, IH1066, 4440, and 8410

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)