AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Kansas City Stockyards Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 8/14/2009 08:36 (#810728 - in reply to #807738)
Subject: RE: Thanks

Oklahoma
Thanks for all the posts and stories. I remember the in-law giving me the tour of Omaha talked about tunnels to take cattle under the railroad tracks to the packing plants. Said there were even holding pens underground in places. Seems like he did mention that they would walk to the top of the packing plants also but that has been a few years ago. Kind of funny that my wife's family is from south of Omaha and when we were talking they claimed "Omaha is the biggest stockyard" and I grew up hearing Oklahoma City was the biggest, but OKC was stockers and feeders. They all probably have had their own time in the spotlight.

Work with several older ranchers that sent lots of cattle to KC and Omaha by train. Still have a set of shipping pens in the area that run beside abandon tracks. One rancher told me as a kid they would start driving about dark and drive all night to arrive at the pens about 4 am for a 8 am train and they would be the 4th or 5th herd in line to load, if there was room.

If any of you want to read about the history of the major stockyards and the meat packing industry, Livestock Hotels is a decent read. Not great but I did learn alot. Quite a bit of history related to stockyards, packing plants, railroads, and the development of refridgerated railcars.

Thanks again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)