AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Kansas City Stockyards Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DevinF
Posted 8/12/2009 00:18 (#808274 - in reply to #807906)
Subject: Re: Old Kansas City Stockyards Questions

Nwmo
The meat packing plants have been gone for quite some time in St. Joe but I have heard several stories from people who used to work in them.
I had a highschool teacher who used to paint in the DugDale packing house. He said the owner was a big time Safari big game hunter type, and every once in a while the bolt guns or stun guns wouldn't completely knock the cattle out. When this happened they would have a cow running wild through the packing house. The owner would clear everybody out and hunt it with a rifle.

The Saint Joe Stock yard at one time was the 4th largest in the country, they had a really nice Stock yard exchange building that is actually still there but it is very bad disrepair. A couple of local business owners bought it several years ago with intentions of fixing it up and making a museum out of it but so far not much has happened.

My Great grandfather used to raise hogs and he started printing a booklet of various hog prices and other information important to people raising or selling hogs and grew that business into a printing business that is still in operation today down on 4th in Saint Joseph. The building is actually an old old packing house. They have a couple of rooms in the back with old hemp string hanging from the ceiling and was still there when I was a kid, Those two rooms were the meat hanging rooms.

I think the Meatpacking industry is very interesting, the numbers that places like Saint Joseph or KC or Chicago were moving are just astounding. At the Turn of the century I think they say St Joe was moving a million hogs a year and close to that in Cattle and Sheep

Devin

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)