AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Kansas City Stockyards Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 8/11/2009 17:45 (#807738)
Subject: Old Kansas City Stockyards Questions

Oklahoma
Ran across some old photos of the Kansas City Stockyards. I never got to see it as the first time I went to the American Royal was just after they had cleaned a bunch of it up and remodeled that area in the early 90s. I had heard from friends about the pens stacked on top of each other and ramps running from one level to another. I guess I am amazed that someone back then thought about making "stories" of pens. I was wondering if anyone had seen this and what the reasoning for it was? The concrete and supports had to be more expensive than expansion on the ground as I can't imagine what the load limit would have had to have been. And I would think that the "run off" would have created a whole new set of problems.

http://www.richardloftis.com/photographs/Classic/The_Kansas_City_St...

I had the chance to see Omaha with a in-law that had worked there and I thought it was "cool" to hear his stories about working there. I really wish I would have taken some more time with him and had him show me more of the grounds below the roof line as he passed away about the time they tore all that down.

I guess I am continuously amazed at some of the ag industry in previous generations as to what is built to build an industry.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)