AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calling All Soil Experts/Economists....Fertility Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 12/30/2006 11:25 (#80447 - in reply to #80423)
Subject: working beyond my level of ignorance

Little River, TX
My calculations say you want at least 5460 lbs Ca/A with 6510 lbs/A soil test values.
If 20 lbs of phosphate will fit you will need 400 lbs of phosphate. Probably .
Mag is high. reasonable range would be 270 lbs to 525 lbs/A Mg. Be careful of the type of Ag lime you use. All this Mg is probably sucking up all the available cation locations leaving no room for the potassium. So then the Potassium stays more or less soluble and may leach away from the root zone.
The confidence limit for these is probably close to 90%
As for all the other elements the confidence limit may be 60%, or worse. They are just too widely disbursed for any economical soil testing technique.
Nitrogen and sulfur are simply too mobile to catch standing still long enough to be counted.
In most cases tissue analysis is the only way to sample for the low confidence elements, and tissue analysis has it's own limitations that must be accommodated.
I have little confidence for my observations of phosphate as the chemistry used will be in a foreign language to me being in high pH land.
I have used lime only one time and that in a kitchen garden I put in, while stationed in Goldsboro, NC. I probably could have used lime when in Maine, but we only had flowers and those were adapted to the local soils. I stayed away from a kitchen garden as those cool short summers were just a little cooler and shorter than I was used to. Shoot we missed summer the first year we were there. At least did not recognize it as it did not go much above 50o and we left Abilene Texas where it was over 100o.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)