AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil test K levels and % availability?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 12/30/2006 11:22 (#80443 - in reply to #80378)
Subject: RE: Soil test K levels and % availability?

Some fallacies I see in your post:
1) It requires a soil test of 170 ppm K to insure high alfalfa production

I believe the optimal level of ppm K is based on CEC values. The higher the CEC, the higher the required level of K. There is no "one" magical number.
(My older agronomy guide says the range should be : CEC x 18.8 for the bottom side of "optimum", and CEC x 31 for the upper side of "optimum".)

The other numbers I would look at are how the K is balanced in relation to Mg & Ca.

2) I would think magnesium and calcium would hog all the electron attraction points on the clay surfaces, leaving no room for potassium.

I don't remember the name of the process, but there is a basic principle in chemistry which says that the elements need to be in balance. I think you will never see clay surfaces holding onto calcium and magnesium to the exclusion of potassium. I do agree that calcium and magnesium will be held more tightly, but not "to the exclusion". There needs to be a balance. Also, how molecules are held is related to the size of the molecule. I am thinking smaller molecules are held more tightly - i.e. Mg would be held more tightly than Ca. (Goes back to the atomic weights on the Periodic Chart.)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)