AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calling All Soil Experts/Economists....Fertility Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 12/29/2006 20:57 (#80253 - in reply to #80249)
Subject: Re: Calling All Soil Experts/Economists....Fertility Questions

Martinsville, Ohio
Gee I am neither Scott but in my experience you always want to put the lime on first in your situation. That will release some P and K from the day you apply it for several years. The speed of that reaction is dependent on the ENP or TNP of your lime because of its grind and the pit it came from.

I like your second to last paragraph, that sounds like a farmer approach and that is my approach. The economics are far reaching and need to be analyzed accordingly.

Over a 3 year contract you are really going to improve this land and if you can keep it from eroding, that is all the better.

If you have a good agronomist available I would enlist/hire him.

The sooner you can put on the P and K also, the sooner it will be released. You might do a tissue test on the forage this spring or summer and check for B, Cu, S, Mn and other micro/macros. Again that other person might be able to help you with that.

I rented a worn out 50 ac like you describe and the soil test called for 9 nutrients of the 17 needed and the tissue test backed that up. I just cut the rate down of all 9 to a level I could afford instead of just ignoring some of the nutrients. It raised a record corn crop last year with 10 inches of water or so and a record bean crop this year with 20 plus inches. Neither one would make you rich by any means.

Best wishes in whatever you do.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)