AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Accounting Software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 12/29/2006 19:50 (#80231 - in reply to #80223)
Subject: Farm Works/ Farm Funds

Callao, Missouri
I have been using Farm Works software for a few years now. I am finally understanding how to enter things, use the reports, etc. I just ordered the update "X2", so we'll see how it works after this year is closed.

I used FARMBIZ before switching, but it was an ancient DOS program, and I ran out of printers capable of printing for it...not USB compatible. FARMBIZ was rigid and crude, but it was almost idiot proof. Farm Works has many features/options.......but it takes quite a bit of time to understand what to do/NOT do.

The reason why I use Farm Works instead of other programs is their attempt to tie together an entire farm management package, not just accounting. I have field records/maps, can track enterprises, have an IPAQ that goes to the field with me....just ordered new software for it as well, hope it works! Farm Works is put together by people with a knowledge of agriculture....it is NOT just an accounting program that has been rebadged as a farm accounting program.

My biggest gripe with Farm Works is I don't think that they put enough "power" into their accounting program "Farm Funds". For example, when I print out my Cash Flow for 2006, the program does not include loans recieved/ payments made. I found this particularily upsetting because that is usually the point of looking at a cash flow, AND all the data necessary is already entered into the program....they just don't include it in the cash flow. Ditto for family living expenses. If I wasn't a young/poor farmer, I probably wouldn't be as concerned with cash flow......

I realize that the question wasn't about Farm Works....but I thought I'd offer my opinion anyway, and it's worth what you paid for it. The people at Farm Works have always been good at solving my problems.... usually stupid mistakes made while doing all night bookwork!

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)