AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WIU Cover Crop Innovator project
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 8/5/2009 23:21 (#801275 - in reply to #800912)
Subject: new pics of our tillage system experiment

Hey Ed!

Right now it looks like we will have about 7 ( 3 organic, 4 conventional) of the collaborating "cover crop innovators" and a handful of the student interviewers at our field day this Friday!

You (and all the other collaborators that don't make it to the field day) will receive a CD in the mail next week.

I can't extend that offer to everyone on NAT but I would be glad to email the PDF to anyone that is not able to download a copy using the Yousendit link. Unfortunately the link becomes inactive after 100 downloads because I am not a paid subscriber to the service.

I haven't finalized my plans for the Soil Fertility class this semester but I am leaning towards repeating the Cover Crop Innovator project because I think there are at least 40 more farmers in the Midwest with interesting stories to share about how they are using cover crops. Right now 44 students are signed up for the class.

I hope some more NAT folks that have cover crop experience will let me know that they are open to being interviewed.

My technician and I still have lots to learn about managing cover crops in organic systems but we are pretty pleased with how well some things are working. I took the following 2 pics of the tillage system experiment tonight. Before an inch of rain on Tuesday morning, the row beans were growing so fast that a crack ~ 1" wide and over 12" deep had opened up in the middle of many of the inter-rows... lots of white roots were visible spanning the crack... never ever seen anything quite like this before. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics.

(DSCN0154resized.JPG)

(DSCN0155resized.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN0154resized.JPG (120KB - 43 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0155resized.JPG (123KB - 46 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)