AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Three Corner Alfalfa Hoppers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 8/4/2009 18:39 (#799679 - in reply to #799201)
Subject: RE: Three Corner Alfalfa Hoppers

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)

brbear - 8/4/2009 09:18 I just finished going over this week's report with my crop consultant. He reported that I have some soybeans that are at threshhold to be sprayed for three corner alfalfa hoppers. This is at least the third year I have dealt with this pest. The problem is that I rarely see or hear it mentioned as troublesome for other farmers. Do any of you have experience with this pest and how seriously do you take it?

What is "threshhold" in your state and how many are in your field? There should be some researched, validated guidelines to follow. Otherwise, it is pretty much a shoot from the hip decision.

I have seen them work on soybeans pretty hard down here, and folks not even know until plants grow and fall over. They may girdle the main stem when the crop is 12" and then the plants fall over at 30" when they get some weight on them and some winds come through.

As we have gotten back into a few soybeans the last three years, I haven't been seeing too many, and honestly don't really remember what we use to establish the need to treat....

I have been treating some peanuts for them though over the years.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)