AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any Teff grass growers,
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 12/28/2006 23:51 (#79960 - in reply to #79812)
Subject: RE: any Teff grass growers,

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
There was some grown around here this year. Our local experiment station (Oregon State) had a lot to do getting guys interested in it. We were maybe going to plant some, but the guys who owned the ground couldn't get the existing crop (horseradish-stuff is impossible to kill out) cleaned up in time. One guy I know planted it in May and I saw it in the bale, and it just didn't look very pretty for a horse hay market, and this guy usually makes very nice looking grass hay. The broker that he works with some told me later it wasn't moving very well. Other grower waited until July to plant, for fear of frost. That is the biggest issue for us is it doesn't tolerate temps below freezing at all. It will freeze here any night of the summer. Didn't much this summer, but you never know. Anyway the late planted stuff never really took off. It is still in the barn, I have one guy that wanted to go look at it, but I think more out of curiousity than wanting to buy it. His customers want strictly orchardgrass anyway. I don't really see it working very well, here. Too suseptible to frost, and the yields are no better that existing annuals, usually less. The biggest advantage I can see is it doesn't form a sod, so it could be a rotation to get rid of any crop residue in the ground.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)