AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new series of videos on the art and science of row-crop cultivation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deaner
Posted 1/22/2020 21:39 (#7993620 - in reply to #7993475)
Subject: RE: new series of videos on the art and science of row-crop cultivation

Northern Ohio
Madtownfarmer - 1/22/2020 21:51

Deaner where did you get or what are those cutaway disks mounted directly over the row? That is a great idea or way to get real close. I am a engineer and boy can I appreciate all the thought that must have went into that beauty!

Thanks. We call this our precision cultivator and only used for first cultivation. It’s built out of the best of six different cultivators. I’d still like to make improvements, probably build our own units/parallel linkage.
The units over the row are Alloway parallel linkage with our own drop down brackets to try to keep the linkage more stable. They still move side to side 3/8 of an inch or so in certain situations. Because they have their own linkage, they go over rocks without trouble. The cut-away discs are Elmers with depth bands. Behind the cut-away discs are vegetable knives on Elmers brackets. Residue flow between the two has been an issue in high residue fields. The main bar is John Deere, I like it because it locks out hydraulically and flat folds. The units between the row are Noble/imperial/MF/Wilrich, I like them for their parallel linkage, jolly cranks, and double shear on the gauge wheels. This cultivator is heavy, which helps hold it in the grooves made by the planter. A Hiniker single assist wheel helps pick it up. I pull it with a JD 4240.

Edited by Deaner 1/22/2020 21:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)