AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new series of videos on the art and science of row-crop cultivation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cardinal farms
Posted 1/22/2020 18:28 (#7993067 - in reply to #7992518)
Subject: RE: new series of videos on the art and science of row-crop cultivation

Central Iowa
Those are great videos, he really knows a lot about cultivation. He works hard at his craft and earns the premium that organic grains bring. Dealing with wet weather has to be a challenge for him.

International Harvester had a rich tradition of building row crop cultivators. Sadly, CIH and JD no longer offer row crop cultivators. On our own farm through the years we have used models such as the HM-238, M-448, 461, 153 regular shank, 153 Vibra shank and 184. Mostly these days I use a B & H 9100 which isn't even red. I still try to cultivate both corn and soybeans twice every season and still walk beans, although I'm looking at dusting off the bean bar so I can ride.

A lot of the videos focused on the importance of throwing soil in the row as is necessary to cover the weeds. In my ridge till system where I use herbicides, I do just the opposite. Since the row area is free of weeds from the herbicide band I block the soil by setting the high tunnel shields just off the ground. I also do not want to throw untreated soil into the row where the treated band is.

It's interesting how cultivation goals are so divergent with different tillage systems.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)