AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ammo reloading equipment?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 1/13/2020 05:54 (#7970261 - in reply to #7970027)
Subject: RE: Ammo reloading equipment?

Glenwood, Mn

MN Dave 2 - 1/12/2020 09:47 I own both a single stage press and a Dilliion 650 progressive press. I also own a MEC 12ga progressive press. I also cast some of my own bullets for some pistol reloading...44...357...45. Unless you are going to do a LOT of shooting or want a unusual bullet weight/caliber combo, just watch your sales and buy your ammo, especially if you want to shoot mainly pistols.

I concur.  I own a hornady progressive and a Rock Chucker.  For unusual calibers or competition they are great.  I mainly have the RC for my .204 ruger and WSSM which are prohibitively expensive to shoot factory ammo in.   I can make my own "flavor" which is fun figuring out what shoots best (making a "recipe").  The progressive is great for pistols.  HOWEVER, if you are just plinking, you can simply watch the deals and can sometimes buy ammo cheaper than you can buy the components.  Is it match grade?  Nope.  Does it go bang?  Yup.  Example, I just picked up a 250 round box of .45 acp from Dunham's sports for $39 after mail rebate including the tax.  If you include your time you are way ahead of just buying it for plinking.  .223 is about the same.  Costs around $.37 cents a round to reload ($.19/vmax, $.12 varget, $.03 sr primer $.03 brass).  That doesn't include your time or equipment. You can find reloaded ballistic tips for about $.50 give or take.  I have a break action .223 that shoots just as well on HSM reloaded ammo vs hand made.

In my humble opinion the biggest advantage to a reloading press is that you can build match grade ammunition, in your home for a reasonable price.  Other than that, I'd stick to looking for sales on common calibers.

You already made it clear you were probably short on time.  I have to force myself carve out time now with three boys at home otherwise I just don't do it anymore.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)