AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crops along the Lincoln Highway
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/28/2009 12:23 (#791287 - in reply to #791092)
Subject: Re: Crops along the Lincoln Highway

Yes, I think the sign on the field said 35F44. Definitely a local location that dried earlier than the surrounding fields. I didn't take notes as I drove or I could have listed lots of numbers, but I think the short corn is because of late planting, cool and wet soil and the variety hasn't much effect. It is short and will be late if it produces anything but stalk and leaves. Spring harvesting?

Driving the Lincoln Highway was a lot more interesting than just holding the hammer down on the interstates 150' from the crops dodging semis. Going down the country roads had a lot more close crops and scenery, and most of the way across Illinois had very little traffic. Sure going through towns was slower than flying by, but I had all day to get from Ames to Elk Grove Village and I took it easy. Made it home on 38, 2, and 30 from Batavia (Fermi) to Ames in about 6 hours on Sunday with fewer stops and none of the country paths in Illinois or Iowa.

On Sunday there seemed to be more corn tasseled, but like Winkle said above, a lot of the beans don't appear to be more than a cover crop. Hay perhaps, but where are the critters to eat that hay? Might be the high moisture corn could be harvested on the hoof if there were any fences and enough critters to go around.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)