AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crops along the Lincoln Highway
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/27/2009 11:09 (#789994)
Subject: Crops along the Lincoln Highway

Thursday (July 23), I drove the old original Lincoln Highway from Chelsea IA to Geneva Ill.

Corn in Iowa looked to be very good, nearly all tasseled, quite a bit silked, some pollinated with brown silks. All tall.

Beans were mostly short, 18" to 26" by my eye at 55 mph.

In Illinois corn was generally short, very little tasseled, beans were really short. Though just north of Ashton, IL, I saw one corn field (on a bit of high ground) tasseled with brown silks. Across the road the beans were 8 to 10 inches tall and corn just up the road was about 4' tall. As I drove east corn and beans got shorter, and some beans looked like they'd been planted two weeks ago, still growing the first trifoliate. Likely that was a replanted wet field corner.

The shortest field of corn was along Kirk Rd just north of the Fermi Accelerator that was just knee high on Sunday. Except for a progressive planting of sweet corn where some was just coming up.

I think what I saw was a whole lot of cover crops that won't produce anything but fodder for cattle, if there are any cattle in that region. There's little prospect for a grain crop in most of the Illinois fields I drove by.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)