AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crary Golden Cut...SCH cutting system (bean head)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

repairman
Posted 7/25/2009 10:36 (#787562 - in reply to #787277)
Subject: RE: Crary Golden Cut...SCH cutting system (bean head)

South Dakota

In my opinion you would be better off with the golden cut over the SCH. With that said let me try to explain.

First off I would go to the King Cut not the Golden Cut just because the King is more open and that helps in 2 ways. First speed (we can drive 7 MPH and get a very smooth cut but most of the time we like to keep it around 5-5.25 MPH) you can drive faster as there is a bigger open in the sections. Second there is less plugging with root balls this is more impotent with tilled then no till. You will also have less rock problems with that little finger in between the 2 main guide points.Along with that you get a 1.5" cutting struck so that the plants do not have to move so far when the sickle is on the start of the struck. The guides have a 1 year warranty for breakage. In the 7 years that we have run King cut we have only had one broken guard and that was replaced by our dealer. We cut on an average or 2000 A./ year and we put in a new sickle every other year and the guards every 4 years. The biggest thing with this system that most people do not like is to keep the hold downs set to 0.10" it only takes about 5 min. to check every morn but need to be done. And yes we live in a rock belt.

The thing that makes us like the King cut over the SCH is that if you could make a sloooow motion video of a soybean plant being cut with eather system you would find that with the King cut each plant would jump about 1 -1.5" after being cut becouse of the taper of the knife this give the head time to drive under the plant befor it lays over.As with the SCH with the knife upside down that will not jump the plant and it will have to set and wate for the reel to kick it back on the head. Yes I will say that you do not have the 5 min. of matenece every morn.

I am not a sales man but after many different systems we have found that we are sold on the King Cut system

Edit: i should say that the Golden & the King Cut are maid by Crary just looked on the web site http://www.crary.com/index.html and they do not show the King Cut the only difference between the two is the sections on the King cut have a arched cutting edge instead of a straight cutting edge

Edited by repairman 7/25/2009 19:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)