AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil pH in no-till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hayinhere
Posted 7/24/2009 00:14 (#786112 - in reply to #785732)
Subject: RE: Soil pH in no-till

Central NE
pat-michigan - 7/23/2009 19:01

We saw our pH drop from 7.4-7.8 in the top 6" to almost neutral in 15 yrs. We've tried sampling at different depths in the same spot, but more for informational purposes than for forming a management practice. We have had some occasions where we've applied lime on fields that would have been unheard of 20 yrs ago. I don't know that its really ever been low enough to justify from a nutrient standpoint, but for the chem's I liked to use it was a help. I think.

I'm not 100% sure why our pH is heading south, but it was a very welcome development regardless. Going back to soil test from the 50's on some of our ground, conventional tillage was trending to a higher pH. 7.5+ is a bear to manage.

I don't know if that helps you at all. 3" seems pretty shallow to try to change a specific management practice for, but I'm saying that from a farm with fairly even soils. I'd think it might be interesting for you to do say, a 0-3, a 0-6, and maybe a 0-8 sample and look for any big differences. I don't know that the knowledge is out there to make an accurate recommendation in 1" increments from a depth standpoint. I've never did a lot of grid sampling in the past , but our farm is now all grid sampled. I'm excited about watching for different practices or philosophies and how that may change yield or characteristics.

Lastly, one thing I tried to keep in mind: up until very recently, everything everyone knew about soil sampling and recommendations was based on a conventional till system. I find it very hard to bring that same info over to a long term no-till system and make sense out it. Not trying to make excuses for anything or try to make it more complicated, just an observation.

Thats a great observation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)