AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Angus jersey cross for brood cows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

steincowboy
Posted 8/9/2019 22:37 (#7664119 - in reply to #7664025)
Subject: RE: Angus jersey cross for brood cows?

God's Country (N.C. Ia)
I’m going to buy some yearlings to finish out for now. My area and facilities are much better suited to this end of the cattle game, which in retrospect, I knew before I bought my first bunch of cows three years ago. At the time, I was just tired of losing money feeding steins, and wanted to try something all together different. Machinery-wise, I wasn’t set up for making silage, so the cornstalk-distillers ration looked pretty attractive as far as a feed source for my venture into the cow calf business. Along the way, I ended up with the silage making equipment, so fattening cattle on silage and corn just makes a lot more sense. I still really enjoyed the cow/calf business, but at the end of the day, my time is pretty limited as far as keeping the little critters alive when you’re having trouble keeping them hydrated because they’ve got rota- corona virus, and I’m stuck 15 miles away planting corn with my crop farming partners. Feeding yearlings is way easier as far as health issues are concerned. All in all, it was a good experience, and I learned a lot, but my checkbook took a pretty good hit, and I need to do something that makes money with a little less risk. Wish me luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)