AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf hutch base
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 12/20/2006 14:21 (#76300 - in reply to #76246)
Subject: RE: Calf hutch base

Heard of using coarser rock. I use straw so always worried about rocking the field on haul out. Just used the dirt they sat on and moved them over once in awhile. Try to space them with one width between. BUT the rock and maybe a little gravel to fill the voids might work as well. Reason I dont or wouldnt think the small gravel would work as well is they will stomp your bedding right thru it, then you are forced to discard all and start over. Rock may stick around longer. maybe a bit of 'sand' over the base before the sawdust so if you scrape some up with clean up, no problem,,water still drains thru!! All sort of above grade if you get my drift!!
What kind of hutches are you using? I dont like ANY wood because disease is hard to get cleaned out. SUN is the best disinfectant!! I have a bunch of polydomes I could make yours,,,very resanable!! Best huts on the market in my humble opinion!! GOOD lung power out of those!! And warm enough in the winter to crawl in and take a nap. Solar heat works wonders!!
HTH--d--
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)