AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

automatic cattle waterers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 12/20/2006 14:05 (#76293 - in reply to #76232)
Subject: RE: automatic cattle waterers

John,
try these
http://www.hoskins-mfg.com/
Good folks to work with,,,drive up to front door in a very small hamlet and load what you want. Call ahead to be sure of inventory. Their was an 800 included in MY info.
Be sure to use THEIR electric element too. I used 2 blue trojan heaters under a tank and still had ice when very cold,,,bought ONE Hoskins and its been perfectly ice free ever since, no matter how cold. Could NOT believe the difference,,,they said it was due to increased air space around their element.
Dont know how big of cattle this is for,,,but the 'best' thing to do is pour a slab with water line and electric wire coming up thru about a 18-20" culvert 5 foot deep for frost(maybe deeper there) lets earths heat up thru and under the tank. When pouring the slab I poured another 4 " smaller pad on top of regular pad about 6" all arioound the tank. called a crap step.
LITTLE, calves can stand with front feet on there and drink,,,bigger ones stand far away enough away and drink from there,,,keeps the manure away better. AND 6" isnt too much of a step either even 8". Then when they are backed up to the tank they dont crap into it as easy either,,,they dont like there back feet higher than there fronts.
Oh and I dont use the rubber plugs much any more either,,,I get a proper size twist and expland tighten plug from plumbing supply. If they drink the tank dry they like to eat or play with the push corks. They havent figured out how to twist and pull the other kind YET!!(Sorta hard to explain, they are like a boat plug, not the flip over kind)Twist and expand style.
next most important thing is a 1/4 turn valve under the tank for cleaning or emergencies. I also connect the plastic pipe to the tank using brass fittings and one of those stainless steel braided hoses, havent had one of those break yet either.

IF you are running NEW underground pipe use 120# pipe(at least) not the thin junky stuff, and 1" minimum diameter at least depending on your lenght of run. I run 1" on "MY" new run years ago,,,plumber run cheap 3/4" on his,,,dug up his three times or more already, mine zero and the 1" has twice the water available at the tank!!! And use ALL brass fittings and NOT cheapo plastic inserts, they break regularly!!!

great choice an automatic tank,,,cant believe you dont have a 'dozen' of them there already. IF you get skim ice tho the float ball can 'stick' up, cattle drink dry and they are bawling for water,,,mostly happens when power is off or heater quits('darn' moment) Just check and knock it loose,,,,my pliers can take out the one stainless steel 5/16" bolt and take top of float chamber OFF. For complete access or float hold up for cleaning.( I use an old toilet brush for cleaning)(Stick or my hand in a pinch,,,but then it needs a good soaping) Maybe stick an old brush UNDER the tank,,,wish I had one at every tank,,,what an idea, think I will! Thanks for the idea JOHN! And if you come my way to pick one of these babes up,,,I can buy you a good steak!! Otherwie ask about shipping or local dealers,,,they are "WELL" insulated!! One of the 'best' cheapest waterers on the market,that I could find!!

Sorry for length,,but felt I "OWED" you the best info I could muster!! MUCH better than the old 'manuel' tank!! AND NO ICE CHOPPING!! --d--
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)