AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gooseneck Trailer, Behind a semi
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 12/20/2006 05:30 (#76127 - in reply to #76063)
Subject: Re: Gooseneck Trailer, Behind a semi

Aberdeen MS
That looks like a MayWes plate.

I did all the prototype "experimenting" in getting a design that worked for them. Or I should say it was my truck that I was driving that had about 10 different plates put on it.

They work good if you aren't doing a whole bunch of drop and hook. That was the reason they used my truck. At the time I was switching trailers maybe up to 4 - 5 times a day. Empty, half loads(gross weight wise) and over loads. try getting the local boy scouts to keep a dry van down in weight on the paper drives....LOL. Tractor was a spring ride so a lot of pressure got put on the plates on hooking up.

A few things I'll add as tips. If your tractor is a spring ride, make a couple of "ramps" that will take the brunt of the trailer instead of the 5th wheel in hooking up. The killer of the plate is when too much pressure is put on during hookup lifting the trailer. That's the purpose of the black strips on the 5th wheel "wings". But those strips are imbedded in the slip plate THEN bolted to the 5th wheel. There is still the possibility of wrinkling the plate if the trailer isn't high enough on hook up. Air ride tractors wouldn't have a problem as long as you blow the bags until you get a couple inches from latching (I do know of guys that don't do it...why is beyond me).

After a while of use, the plate will wrinkle if run completely dry and in dirty conditions. Highway use would be more suited for keeping the "factory look". I don't know what the company reccomends, but during the testing phase we found that a little waste oil, 80 - 90 or such did much to aid to the longevity of the plate.

I don't have one on my tractor as I don't feel for money it's any better than the Lucas 5th wheel lube than I use now. It may be, but the memories of the hassels I have during that testing phase still are fresh in my mind. Peel part of the plate one time, and you have to strip the whole thing off as the bolts will play hell with the whole system.

Dedicated trailer to tractor and very minimum hook/unhook is an almost must for satisfaction.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)