AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed Placed starters (pop up) - general discussion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 12/18/2006 20:27 (#75517 - in reply to #75486)
Subject: I copy and post to an E-Mail format.

Little River, TX
I have no idea why some messages are so wide, unless it is because of the length.

As to the Fertilizer man, I fault him in not mentioning the pH, & the chemistry used for phosphate. The amount of clay or sand, read real CEC value for possible adjustment for K, Mg, & Ca fertilizers.

He is just interesting not useful to me in CenTex with an 8 pH, measured CEC in the 40 to 50 meq/100g range. Typical he considers a soil test to be of use for micro nutrients.

I hope he was saying 20 ppm P equates to 40 lbs P & not P2O5. For that he should multiply the 40 lbs by 2.3 for lbs/A of P2O5. Kind of silly to convert to pounds in the real world an acre of soil will weigh a little different than 2,000,000 lbs. Not too bad as every one uses a times 2 to convert from ppm to lbs but still we are adding error potential.

In a calcareous soil putting phosphate down with anhydrous enhances the availability of the phosphate over a longer period.

I understand he is addressing the Mid West. He was preaching to the Choir, problem is he also is reaching the back row of the balcony.
I create misunderstanding when I do not qualify my observations. As I now like to say, there are universal truths for agriculture. Problem is the application varies with soil, climate, and management. Many of his local truths do not work to well in our local conditions.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 12/20/2006 08:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)