AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

please delete
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

AgJudge
Posted 6/23/2009 12:19 (#754742 - in reply to #753763)
Subject: RE: Yep DUCKS and Hawks

the place your food comes from- IOWA
Every spring I watch wood ducks nest in the neighbors tree. The male waits nearby until she lays her egg for the day and then they go play until the next day. Then one day the female stays in the nest...count 30 days and its hatch day.
This year was a HIGH WIND day on hatch day...I say the hen fly around screaming / calling and would land at base of tree, gather up and head for the creek, across a four lane hi way. Don't know how but she made it.
Hour later I could hear 2 stragglers at dusk running around that tree. She was long gone. I didn't have the heart to see them become cat bait;So...I gathered them up and they are Dammed fast.
Put em in a box w/ heat lamp...they were terrified and wouldn't eat or drink. So I go to Tractor Supply and bought some day old ducks.
Worked like magic and they immediately went to eating ( High Protein game starter ) now are 2 MOS old...cant wait to see em just fly away !

My neighbor dude loves his gun so much thinks its cool to shoot a hawk that lived in my tree. One day he was low in the branch, flew a hundred feet went dow...as I got to him he just waited for me to finish him. I took him in, a bad shot under the wing. Called around and took him to a raptor recovery place 50 miles away. Hope he made it, but doubt it. Nice neighbor eh ?

Edited by AgJudge 6/23/2009 12:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)