AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agronomy Quiz
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 12/18/2006 13:11 (#75341 - in reply to #74967)
Subject: RE: Agronomy Quiz

Colby, Kansas
Ed,

I'm reasonably sure that a given herbicide could be identified within a cell. The first step of this would be visually evaluating the cell to see if you could determine the mode of action of the herbicide, ie. cell membrane disruptor (paraquat), photosynthesis inhibitor (atrazine), growth regulator (2,4-D), etc. Identifying the mode of action would allow you to significantly narrow down your search. In the case of roundup it is a EPSP synthase inhibitor (EPSP stands for something long that we all really don't care about). So you could (I think) look within the cell and measure the levels of EPSP versus an untreated plant. If the plant has the ability to break down or metabolize the herbicide (i.e. Glyphos tolerant Corn, Beans, Canola, Alfalfa, etc) you could look at the metabolites that are produced and identify the base herbicide off of those, as the metabolism of a herbicide creates products that are specific.

I'm certainly not a weed science person, just my general understanding from crop physiology courses. If want more info I'm sure I can locate it. For a good reference on herbicide modes of action, see

KSU Herbicde Mode of Action Pub (24 pages-color)

It may be of use in the classroom.

Best Regards,

Lucas Haag

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)