AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got a letter from the district court, they want me to be on a jury, now what?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Redman
Posted 6/21/2009 02:10 (#752203 - in reply to #751085)
Subject: RE: No body has said it yet so I will !

SW Saskatchewan
Trial by Jury is one of our most fundamental rights and freedoms.

If we were to give that up we would have thrown away our heritage.

I have never been called for jury duty, nor has anyone I know. Partly because we are more law-abiding than our cousins to the south (bs I know but I had to say it), partly because in Canada they draw the jury pool from the local district of the court-house(major cities) but mainly because in Canada the pressure is for trial by Judge alone. And of course we don't have grand juries, those decisions to indict are carried on behind closed doors in Canada so we end up with cases like the infamous airport case in Vancouver where the prosecutor under cover of darkness makes the decision not to prosecute.

What I have seen of Canadian Judges(we don't elect them or have them approved by the legislature like you do,), ours are appointed solely by the PM-and most are appointed because of their contributions to the party over the years, Patronage, pure and simple, and a pretty second class batch of hacks at that!

Hope I never have to face a jury, but I want to face a jury of people who can think, people who have work to do but recognize that part of the rent for living in a free society is to contribute their time to making certain that society works. I want to be judged by twelve good and true citizens of my country.

I have seen miscarriages of justice-they are not as rare as one might think-but those that I would attribute to a mistake by the jury are few and far between--not at all comparable in number to those cases where members of the legal profession have used their position to force conviction.

Ron in Illinois, I know you have thought of this but I don't think you truly value what we are giving up by not doing jury duty and passing that duty off to the political class.

JMHO
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)