AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got a letter from the district court, they want me to be on a jury, now what?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 6/20/2009 23:27 (#752098 - in reply to #751326)
Subject: RE: Got a letter from the district court, they want me to be on a jury, now what?

Burlington, IA
Mr. Lukow, I don't know if I can define a "jury of my peers" any easier nowdays than I can define what "normal" weather is any more. I guess it might be something along the lines of a group of fair minded, open minded, law abiding, people, who come from a similar station in life. Who knows any more?

I think "Here", the jury process is fairly accommodating, up to the point of the actual selection process for a trial. See my answer to Pb for more details. It's not that hard to get excused or deferred if you have a fairly legitimate reason. I agree that it's not the jurors' fault. I think, as with so many other problems in the legal process, the problems, or brokenness, in the system emanates largely from the lawyers. Getting the lawyers under control would help that. By that, I mean they are pushing the politically correct process so rampant in this country, by which the rights of the criminals (accused, if you will) are promoted over the rights of the victims. Curtail that, and the jury selection process wouldn't be so complicated and drawn out. Currently, the lawyers have such control over the selection process, that they will try to kick out prospective jurors for the slightest reason.

Something like jury duty should be, and is, part of the price we pay for being free Americans. Is that "forcing" us to be jurors? Maybe. But the process of picking a fair jury, and getting a fair trial in this country has always been somewhat flawed, and nothing new. Look at the Salem witch trials for instance.

I don't have all the answers. If I did, I'd be doing something about it. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

JDH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)