AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got a letter from the district court, they want me to be on a jury, now what?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron (Cen. IL.)
Posted 6/20/2009 14:47 (#751700 - in reply to #751085)
Subject: RE: Got a letter from the district court, they want me to be on a jury, now what?

Central Illinois

Strictly based on my own limited experience, I can see why people avoid jury duty.

I've been called twice, once right before harvest and was excluded.

The second time was in February a few years ago. One of the first things the judge said was we'd be quitting early enough that everyone could be home by dark. In my county, a "block" of prospects was questioned, then the prosecution and defense go into a back room and decide who will be accepted. We started at 9:00 A.M. and by 2:30 P.M. 3 jurors had ben seated out of the first block of 16 or 18 prospects.
Only a couple had beem excluded during the questioning session. Alot of time was wasted questionong a saleswoman who had done business the the 2 defendents and a former reporter. (as far as I was concerned, if you knew you wern't going to accept someone, don't spend a lot time questioning them) and the defense attornies asking the very same questions as the prosecution.

The second block was seated (which included a former client of one of the 4 defense attornies, a prospect those sister-in-law was a victim of a similar crime. a parent of a child was a clasmate of one of the defendents children and a guy who kept telling the judge he wouldn't be able to concentrate on the trial because he needed to be at his job),

About 4:15, one of the lawyers asked another question that had already been asked and answered and a guy sitting behind me said "Aw ---k, c'mon, let's go" and one of the defense attornies (about 10 feet away) turned and stared at me. About that time the judge decided to release the guy who wouldn't be able to concentrate. I already knew who would be called to replace him. After I took my seat and questioned to bring me to the same level as the other prospects, the judge says "We will adjourn for the day, don't discuss the case with anyone. We'll start at 9:00 A.M., finish the selection process and start the trial tomorrow afternoon." I'm from the same town as the defendents and couldn't see more than 3 or 4 seated from this block.

The next morning, its 9:20, no judge, prosecutors, lawyers or defendents. I ask the guy sitting next to me if he thinks the judge will hold me in contempt if I tell him he "needs to pick up the pace a little bit". A few minutes later, they all walk in, along with the jurors already selected. The judge announces that, due to unexpected coverage in the media, the trial is going to be postponed, thanks us, and releases us.

I should add that a pretty good percentage of people whose name was called to be seated the first day were not in attendence ( I would guess at least 20 %) and several more were missing on day 2 including the guy who was ready to go home at 4:15. My county has a "unique population" (no further comment).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)