AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got a letter from the district court, they want me to be on a jury, now what?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/20/2009 06:47 (#751322 - in reply to #751206)
Subject: RE: Got a letter from the district court, they want me to be on a jury, now what?

Chebanse, IL.....

"good experience"?

Might be different in different states. Close family relative served a short time ago. The trial, judge, & lawyers are the top of the heap & you're the bottom. You're expected to be there, they don't show. You're all ready to finally listen to a case, they do some legal wrangling & everyone goes home. Your day is shot @ 1100 hrs, you did nothing. It's -30F outside w/30 mph winds. You have to park 3 blocks from the courthouse because the judges, lawyers, & employees have all the free spots taken up. You better not be late, but they will. Can you schedule work for tomorrow? Well, no, the court may or may not need you (again, lawyer thing) & the clerk doesn't let you know until 5pm. Too late to schedule anything involving customers or people that you want to be courteous towards. Just as well consider this jury duty as your vacation time, because you're not going to do much productivity outside of the court, even though you're not IN the court....again, scheduling.

The court needs some overhauling on scheduling, in my opinion. Keep in mind you'll be part of that schedule circus they run. The scheduling & cancellations (some are last minute) is the biggest detraction.

I understand it's supposed to be patriotic duty, but it looks like a waste of time to me. If you're unemployed, it may fit the bill perfectly. If other employees or customers depend on you daily, then good luck. Locally a judge was fining/jailing potential jurors that failed to heed the call. It was publicized for a reason. The judge is an otherwise nice guy, but he's a lawyer, I believe. I'm not sure if there was delays or postponements on the trials of the potential jurors that were summoned or not. Probably....that's the way the "system" works.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)